Do you find yourself suffering from constant headaches, pain in your face, neck, or shoulders or a popping/clicking of your jaw? If you have answered yes to any one of these questions or a combination of them, then chances are you are suffering from TMJ. At Midway Dentistry, our highly experienced and skilled staff of dentists and dental assistants are committed to providing some of the best all round TMJ treatments in all of Alpharetta. Our award-winning dentists have been recognized time and time again for our superior performance and excellence and for our 100% customer service satisfaction rating.
What is TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint Disorder)?
TMJ is a disorder caused when the hinge that connects your upper and lower jaw is not working properly. This hinge is what allows all of us to be able to chew, to yawn and to speak. It is responsible for moving the jaw in every direction, up, down, forwards, and backwards and for moving the jaw from side to side as well. It is considered to be one of the most important and complex joints in the body. When suffering from TMJ many times patients will complain that it feels as though their jaw is constantly clicking, popping, getting stuck, or even locking up from time to time creating a great deal of pain in the face and other surrounding areas as well.
Noticeable Symptoms of TMJ
There is a wide range of signs and symptoms that are indicative of TMJ disorder. Many of these signs can also be indicators of other medical problems, which is why it can be very difficult to determine on your own whether or not you suffer from TMJ disorder. In order to get a proper and thorough diagnosis, it is imperative that you visit your Alpharetta dentist. For all our Alpharetta patients, we at Midway Dentistry, offer a thorough consultation, which includes a history of your symptoms and indications as well as an in-depth explanation of TMJ and the innovative procedures used today to resolve this somewhat complicated disorder. In our efforts to determine whether a patient is truly suffering from TMJ, we spend long hours examining, analyzing, and consulting with our patients before we are able to confirm the presence of TMJ.
Common TMJ signs and symptoms include some or all of the following:
- The presence of pain in the face, neck or shoulders
- Constant headaches much like migraines
- The presence of earaches or pain behind your eyes
- The feeling of pain or extreme tenderness in your jaw muscles
- Noticeable clicking and popping when opening and closing your mouth
- Having your jaw lock up or appear to ‘get stuck’
- A noticeable change in the fit of your upper and lower jaw
TMJ Procedures and Treatment
The friendly team of professionals at Midway Dentistry strongly suggest treatment of patient’s TMJ by way of the most conservative techniques and procedures available. We advise our patients to try the conservative procedures first in the hopes that the pain and extreme discomfort can be eliminated. We believe that in many cases a conservative treatment will produce effective results and eliminate any unnecessary risks. We offer a wide range of conservative treatments that we advise our patients to engage in as part of their TMJ treatment plan. Should these simple, but typically effective treatments, not work, then we will spend ample time consulting with patients about the performance of either Botox or jaw joint surgery to remedy their TMJ disorder.
Conservative treatments more often than not provide a solution to many TMJ issues. Our Alpharetta, GA dentistry team suggests the following:
- If you are trying to reduce or eliminate pain in your jaw, apply moist heat to your jaw and try taking a mild muscle relaxer, ibuprofen, aspirin, an over the counter pain reliever, or an anti-inflammatory.
- Practice relaxation techniques that can help to control the muscle spasms that consistently occur in your jaw.
- Learn and practice jaw stretches and exercises that can help to increase jaw movement. (Our experienced staff will recommend some of the best jaw exercises for you to try.)
- More often than not constant clenching and grinding of the teeth can lead to TMJ disorder. If you find that you are constantly grinding your teeth or clenching your teeth, then our team of specialized dentists will customize a dental appliance such as a bite plate or a splint to help control the clenching and grinding. This appliance slides over your upper teeth and keeps them from grinding against your lower teeth, thereby reducing the harmful effects that can be caused.
- If all these conservative techniques still do not alleviate the pain in your jaw and provide a resolution to your TMJ symptoms, then lastly, we would recommend that you engage in either Botox or jaw joint surgery to alleviate the problem altogether over a span of time.
Choosing the Right Treatment
In order to determine whether or not you truly suffer from TMJ disorder, it is imperative that you consult with a TMJ professional. At Midway Dentistry we are proud of our roster of dentists and assistants who specialize in TMJ consults and treatments. We are here to provide all our patients with a thorough and accurate assessment of their signs and symptoms. Once we have conducted our consultation and analysis, we will then advise the patient on the most appropriate and effective TMJ treatment that is best suited for their individual needs.
If you think you may be suffering from TMJ disorder, then contact our team of qualified experts today to schedule your consultation. At Midway Dentistry we are all about the well-being and satisfaction of our patients and are determined to deliver top of the line dental services that will not only minimize your pain, but alleviate your TMJ problems altogether. Our dental services will simply not be matched. Give a shout out today to our reliable and very dependable staff of dental experts. We are here to provide you with all the personalized and customized care and treatment you need today and every day. Midway Dentistry – Alpharetta dentistry at its best!!